We believe in the one God, our Creator, who is unconditional love
God has many names. God’s love takes many forms. God accepts all. God is not gender specific. God, through Jesus Christ, is our redeemer who willingly forgives everyone. God, through the Holy Spirit, is our sustainer.
We believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ
God is revealed in Jesus Christ, the Word, who came to redeem us and forgive us unconditionally.
We believe the Holy Spirit is our comforter, friend, and teacher
The Holy Spirit enlightens us of our need for God and is alive and manifest in our actions.
We believe in the power of Prayer
Prayer is valuable and necessary for our spiritual journey. As we pray for and with each other, God changes us and the world.
We believe in the divinely inspired words of the Bible
Scripture is God’s communication with us to acknowledge and embrace a personal relationship.
We believe God gives us the gifts of love, grace, forgiveness, and salvation
God uses these gifts to call us into relationship with God and each other through worship and fellowship.
We believe the church, as individuals and as a community, is called to serve
Because of God’s unconditional love and salvation, we are called to live in the Spirit of Jesus Christ—individually, collectively, and as the church. We welcome, accept, and include all, respecting individual faith experiences and diverse beliefs. We are called to active service, social outreach, mission, and justice through our faith and to find unity and strength in the diversity of God’s creation.
At upRising, we hold Diversity as one of our Core Values, Though we are unapologetically a Christian church, our commitment to honoring diversity extends even to our individual beliefs. These 8 Points of Progressive Christianity (progressivechristianity.org) offer us a way to broadly describe and honestly discuss our Christian faith with other Christians, people of other faiths, and even those who don’t call themselves spiritual or religious. They are not meant to be prescriptive.
The 8 Points of Progressive Christianity
- Believe that following the path and teachings of Jesus can lead to an awareness and experience of the Sacred and the Oneness and Unity of all life;
- Affirm that the teachings of Jesus provide but one of many ways to experience the Sacredness and Oneness of life, and that we can draw from diverse sources of wisdom in our spiritual journey;
- Seek community that is inclusive of ALL people, including but not limited to:
- Conventional Christians and questioning skeptics,
- Believers and agnostics,
- Women and men,
- Those of all sexual orientations and gender identities,
- Those of all classes and abilities;
- Know that the way we behave towards one another is the fullest expression of what we believe;
- Find grace in the search for understanding and believe there is more value in questioning than in absolutes;
- Strive for peace and justice among all people;
- Strive to protect and restore the integrity of our Earth;
- Commit to a path of life-long learning, compassion, and selfless love.
MCC Statement of Faith
“Come, taste, and see.” Jesus Christ, You invite all people to Your open table. You make us Your people, a beloved community. You restore the joy of our relationship with God, even in the midst of loneliness, despair, and degradation. We are each unique and we all belong, a priesthood of all believers. Baptized and filled with Your Holy Spirit, You empower us to be Your healing presence in a hurting world.
We expect to see Your reign on earth as it is in heaven as we work toward a world where everyone has enough, wars cease, and all creation lives in harmony. We affirm Your charge to all of humanity to care for the land, sea, and air. Therefore, we will actively resist systems and structures which are destroying Your creation.
With all of creation we worship You—every tribe, every language, every people, every nation. We know You by many names, Triune God, beyond comprehension, revealed to us in Jesus Christ, who invites us to the feast.